What We Do
Projects and Activities
Our Kiwanis club participates in a variety of projects throughout the year that involve fundraising, community service, and assisting children locally and worldwide. Additionally, we have speakers at our weekly meetings to explore topics of interest to the membership. We engage in a number of social activities to share experiences, talents and our collective interests. All represent great opportunities for service, friendships and personal growth.
Below are projects and activities in which we are currently involved:
- Making up Weekend Snackpacks for low income children, Weekly – Thursdays at 9am at First United Methodist Church
- Picking up food donations from Walmart & delivering them to Glen Ellyn Food Pantry, Weekly – Wednesdays at 8 am.
- Glen Ellyn Children’s Resource Center, provide refreshments, tutoring and weekend backpack project
- Food Pantry (Walmart pickup)
- Summer Snackpack (GEPL)
- Food Drive – March or April
- Go Baby Go – June
- Fish Release – September/October release fish in Lake Ellyn
- Halloween Festival – October In conjunction with Glen Ellyn Chamber of Commerce
- Secret Santa – December for the children with Glen Ellyn Jr Women Club
Below are fundraising activities we hold throughout the year:
- Bowl-A-Thon – January
- Onion & Hanging Basket Sale – March thru April
- Holiday Nuts Sale – November/December – Sale of nuts and chocolates for Holiday gift giving
Service Leadership Programs
Our club mentors youth in grades 6-12 through our sponsorship of Service Leadership Programs. These programs were formed by Kiwanis International to empower people at every stage of life to become competent, capable, and compassionate leaders by helping them learn to help others. They also enable young leaders to serve their communities and open doors for them to change the world.
Kiwanis Key Club is for students ages 14-18
Our Kiwanis Club supports Key Club service projects, facilitate their meetings, provides mentorships and college scholarships for the Key Club students. We are currently sponsoring the following Kiwanis Key Clubs:
- Glenbard South Key Club
- Glenbard West Key Club
Kiwanis Builders Club is for students ages 11-14
We support Builders Club service projects, facilitate their meetings and provide mentorships. Our Kiwanis Club brings in food and treats and recognizes, supports and encourages the kids, through example, so they feel empowered to do great things in their communities. We sponsor the following Kiwanis Builders Clubs:
- Glen Crest Middle School Builder’s Club
Kiwanis Aktion Club is for adults living with disabilities
Our Kiwanis Club supports the social programs of Western DuPage Special Recreation Association, WSDRA in Carol Stream.
Scholarships and grants
We provided scholarships to 2 high school Seniors from Glenbard West and 2 high school Seniors from Glenbard South. We also provided a scholarship to Teen Parent Connection.